There are a lot of things I should be doing right now. I need to be writing an article for Sidelines. I need to be finishing up my honors speech class homework. I need to be doing a whole host of other things on my way too long to do list. However after being up so long, I have run into my wall so to speak. The energizer bunny within in me is slowing down.
In light of slowing down, I get a little distracted. I am not on task one bit and my mind is wandering. When this happens, one of two things take place. I either stew on my entire day, and I think about everything I have to do while I am sitting here not doing it. OR, and this is a big or, I decide to distract myself if only for a minute or thirty.
So, my favorite distractions. What are they you ask?
1) TV. I love watching re-runs of NCIS religiously. My favorite past downtime hands down. Except when I am away at school, I face one problem: no TV. There is currently not one in my dorm room, so I have to find something else to occupy my thoughts which really isn’t that hard.
2) Since there is no NCIS, I love creepin’ on Facebook. Yeah, don’t think I am weird. I know you do it, too. The newsfeed is full of interesting information. Sometimes, it just requires a little time to sift through all the stupid to get to the good stuff.
3) Reading a not required novel. I have to transport myself sometimes to a different place and time entirely. Escaping reality is one the best stress relievers of all. That is until I enter back into reality.
4) Taking a nap. I have a strong conviction that naps are the key to grappling with life. Someone once told me organization was. There is truth in the statement. I just have a different mantra. I love naps. They give me a little boost. The extra get-up-and-go I need. Taking naps aren’t the best thing to do at eight o’clock at night. Those naps turn into full on sleep. Be careful.
5) Cleaning. I love cleaning my dorm room for some reason. My bedroom back home is something of a mess usually. I have a good reason, though. Nothing has an exact place back home. Everything has a true place here. Plus, it’s smaller, and I hate having it dirty. Sometimes, I can’t do anything until my floors have been mopped. A little anal retentive don’t you think?
6) Angry birds. I heart Angry Birds. I love anything free to begin with, and I of course love a good competition. I could sit and play that game for hours. It’s actually kinda sickening once you think about it. I thoroughly enjoy playing. Well, until it makes me angry.
We all have distractions that keep us from our true responsibilities. What are yours?